Sunday, March 15, 2009

{spring equinox}

What is March 20th? Why, yes, it's the first day of spring.

It's the spring equinox also.

There are two solstices and two equinoxes yearly. The summer solstice seems to get the most publicity but the rest are just as cool.

Look this stuff up for your own edification, but I will tell you about the things I remember from my own research.

The equinoxes are when the days and nights are equal in length. The summer solstice is the longest day and the winter solstice is the shortest day. Of course, this is all more dramatic if you live very far from the equator, near the poles.

I can totally understand why some Scandinavian countries want to celebrate Midsummer after suffering through near darkeness for the winter months.

I do my utmost do mark all important (especially worthy, obscure) holidays. I'll let you know what plans I cook up.

1 comment:

  1. Is that photo from where I think it's from?

    I am remembering our midnight welcoming ceremony for the spring equinox a couple years ago.... that was pretty special. ;-)

    ReplyDelete