Friday, August 7, 2009

rocking the vocab

Am I just a nerd or do you love when someone compliments you on your language use?

I really like the English language, and I especially love those words that express a whole concept in one, succinct, little word. When I say something and nail it exactly as I wanted it expressed, it's very gratifying.

I'm not always the best at this, but it seems the trick is to use a middling-size impressive word, not one so great and long and archaic that you sound like a snob.

trolling (as in fishing around for something specific). Yesterday's word.

anomaly. Today's word. Not that impressive but yet someone noticed

2 comments:

  1. Trolling. Good word. Aes, I must confess I love being complimented on word use. I agree that the key to being well-spoken involves using accessible, non-snobbish language that simply brims with meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an anomaly. But I still like you.

    ReplyDelete