Some things people have thought about communication.
The word is not the thing.
This was one of the first things I learned as a budding young communication major.
"The word is not the thing" means that words are symbols. The essence of a chair is not the word "chair", "chaise", or the word for it in any other language. We gave it a name.
A word is a symbol means that words are things that we affix meaning to. A word doesn't tell us what something is- it just tells us what we choose to call it. Kind of like what Shakespeare was saying in his famous "a rose by any other name..."
It would follow that there are no words that are intrinsically good or intrinsically bad.
Language sets the barrier to thought.
This explores the power of language in shaping and controlling thought. The most famous theory on this is the Sapir/Whorf Hypotheses. Their theory suggests that one's language actually sets the parameters for thought. For example, can you think properly about something if you don't have a word for it? That idea, that language determines thought is called Linguistic Determinism.
Their theory is too strong for most in academia currently and instead there is talk of Linguistic Relativism. It says that rather than literally setting the boundaries of thought, language influences and shapes, as well as being a reflection of people's thoughts.
Does language limit thought or does language actually determine thought?
Wow I am so happy you wrote on this! I was actually JUST thinking about this the other day, like, last week, and had never heard anything about it before, but it made sense to me then, as it does now, but now I have something to research. Thank you! Good question at the close btw...and rather than skipping it (like I originally planned) I suppose I shall tackle it. Hmmm...Yes. That is, to both. You see, without proper vocabulary, I cannot think about, or discover something because their is no formal association with the thought. So for instance, until I learned that their were actually multiple words for Truth, and different definitions for each (Man's specific Truth, God's unchanging Truth, Popular Truth, etc.) I was limited to thinking about all things relating too or dealing with Truth on the same, constant plane. Now, I am capable of understanding that what may be Truth to my friend, is not Truth to me, as he perceives it differently, though there IS still a "plumbline" or God's Truth that overrules it. And that goes right into the second part, it determines my thought. Because of my previously limited vocabulary, my thoughts were determined in so many words, and although a seemingly 'aloof' idea or thought may be floating around in my head (inventors have to come up with these somewhere) I cannot describe or explain it due to my verbiage. The better versed, the better thought. 'Tis Truth. :D
ReplyDelete