Friday, September 3, 2010

how to... write for job-getting

My preamble for this post is that I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm just thinking through how I've written coverletters in the past and how I'm writing them currently and how I think I should be writing them.

Please don't mistake this for advice.

Coverletters.

My writing in general is nothing to brag about. Yet. It works, it's usually grammatically correct, and it usually makes sense. I'm working on it. My plan is to keep writing and eventually be a tantalizing writer.

Thus far, in my job-pursuing writing, I have erred on the side of being too professional. When I'm applying for jobs, it usually involves multiple people, layers of hierarchy, and attaching documents for emails. I have no complaints with this system, but because of it I tend to also sound professional and cool. Though I hope I don't slide into bland.

Now into something like my dozenth cover letter in this season of job searching, I am beginning to self-assess. I've also consulted my brother who does grant writing for a living. For my own writing, I've concluded:

- More explanation. Explain in vivid, simple language what each item means
- More details. Mention relevant projects and duties in the cover letter. I usually reserved much of this for the resume.
- More of me. Sincerely explain why I want this job.

I'm trying to embrace the difficulty of crafting an eye-catching coverletter. I like how the structure is less rigid than a resume. As I learn how to compose a better letter, this freedom should end up to my benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment