I really dislike the small talk question, "So, what kind of music do you like?" Besides that it is always exactly how the question is framed, this question makes me nervous.
I don't understand the motive behind this question, besides the obvious to-get-to-know-you motive. As less than average music enthusiast, I don't really know where to take you in answering this question. It's a dead-end for me.
Do I just list off a few people? I'm not into music, so I already know I can't take you there. If I quickly answer and turn the question around, then again it won't be helpful because I can't parry when you answer with something that would spark a conversation with a music enthusiast.
I used to say I really liked Sarah Brightman but then I either got "who's that?", or was mocked. I don't care. Sarah Brightman is awesome.
I also don't know the rules for describing "the music you like". Do you list genre, band, album? Singer? (I also have issues with calling singers, "artists", but I'll hold back). And are you allowed to list people everyone likes, like the Beatles?
Personally, I think this is a boring question. But I know this is just because I'm not a music person. So if we're conversing to get to know each other, there's that.
I've been trying to work out a decent answer for next time this comes around. Since I don't live in the music world (I'm more of a talk radio, podcast kind of girl), I need to think. Usually, I just say whoever comes to my head that doesn't sound ridiculous, you know, like saying you used to love Steve Green.
I probably should memorize to aid in my interpersonal exchanges.
Sarah Brightman
Mumford and Sons
Sondre Lerch
Abba (Mamma Mia)
Jacob Simmons
Andrew Peterson
Fernando Ortega
Journey
Regina Spektor
Soundtracks
The Beatles
Sara Evans
Death Cab for Cutie, that one song
But just because I say I like any of these people does know mean I know the band member's names, all of their songs, or any of the lyrics.
awesome post rachel! :) i do love music a lot but i also hate this conversation starter.. most times both people have completely different taste and most times the topic ends in a "hmmm.. ok". not my idea of a good convo!
ReplyDeletep.s. i used to like steve green too ha!
glad to hear I'm not the only one (about this topic and about steve green)!
ReplyDelete