Thursday, February 19, 2009

balance


I think I work too much. No, I think I don't work strategicially enough. I think I work too hard in some areas and not enough in others. Woe to this messed up world!

Well I am nearly over my cold, thank heavens, and hoping to get back into, as they say, an more even keel.

Yesterday was my all day on campus day. I work at my second job (which is on campus) and I also have classes. Looong day.

This is my current frustration. I am a student still, finishing up my last semester, Lord willing. I don't feel like a student, though. I don't concentrate on it all, no more than I have to. My mind is elsewhere- work, graduating, post-graduation plans. It doesn't help that I'm not inspired in any of my classes this semester either.

Sometimes, I go to classes and I can't believe that I get to sit and listen to a certain instructor it's so interesting. My roommmate is currently in a class that I took a few years ago, a class that has turned out to be my favorite class in undergrad. When she asked to see my notes from when I was in it, I got nostalgic. I remember how great and exciting it was to learn all the stuff that I took notes on. It made me sad that I'm not excited about anything I'm learning now.

As a side note to that generalization, I am really enjoying my weekly yoga class, and I am also learning some new aspects of powerpoint and word in my computer class.

So Wednesdays are a day I do largely by myself. As I was trudging around from class to class, from tutoring to tutoring, I found myself searching for something to mull over. Usually, my fodder is interesting concepts or theories I'm learning. I was coming up blank, and I was boring myself.

At my next available break, I made my way to our library. I had to find something interesting to start thinking about. I left with four books:

Shooting an Elephant by George Orwell
On the Language of 1984 about Orwell's famous work
Ulysses by James Joyce
and a fourth written on George Orwell's work

I am hoping to start Shooting an Elephant today. I think Orwell had some great ideas, but I haven't been devoted much time to understanding his ideas, beyond reading his famous book, 1984.

Hopefully, I will be happily mentally occupied soon.

1 comment:

  1. Have fun with Ulysses. It's good but doozy of a book. ;-) I never finished it.

    Oh, how your "I work to hard in some areas and not hard enough in others" comment resonates with me. Always thought I was organized but I've come to the conclusion that time management is not my forte.

    ReplyDelete