Tuesday, February 24, 2009

on mornings

After three years of trying live up to the "usual "college lifestyle, I have finally admitted to a reality about myself:

I'm a morning person.

All-nighters? Never pulled one and intend never to. When I first moved out, I experimented a bit with what sleep patterns worked for me. I did the whole stay up 'till ungodly hours. I quickly learned it didn't work.

I generally like to be in bed by eleven at the latest and earlier if possible. But at the worst, under no circumstances am I allowed to stay up until two am. I hate my life if I ever stay up that late.

This past fall is when I fully commited to my nights-are-for-sleep and mornings-are-meant-to-start-early routine. I now regularly get up at 6 or 6:30 every weekday morning. If I don't get enough sleep, I'm tired like anyone, but in general, I love the routine.

I used to feel virtuous about this, until I started talking to some of my co-workers and colleagues who have careers and kids and get up at 4:30 or 5:00 every morning. I shan't feel guilty, though. I'm enjoying my independence and freedom to schedule my life around just me while I can.

The best part of this is I have a bit of a morning routine, which I love. Never really had one before. The bad part of my morning routine? I'm developing the habit of stopping for morning coffee once or twice a week on the way to work. Their coffee is better than what they have at work (don't tell anyone). I'm trying keep this habit in check. But it's so gooood.

R.

1 comment:

  1. As a fellow morning person, I too have grown comfortable in my skin... I savor those early mornings padding around in pj's, coffee mug in hand, enjoying the quiet house and thoughts to myself. Glad to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete